The all-new OptygenHP formula features our exclusive OptyMax Proprietary Matrix. Clinical studies showed a 23% improvement in endurance capacity and a significant increase in energy (ATP) production. Athletes who participated in these studies were able to replenish glycogen faster, which leads to improved recovery and improved performance on back-to-back workouts and during heavy training. In addition, subjects experienced less muscle inflammation after high-intensity exercise, resulting in less soreness and faster recovery.
First Endurance introduced the world to Optygen back in 2002. Since then, there have been a number of additional studies done that show Optygen reduces cortisol levels. By modulating cortisol, athletes experience better recovery, an increase in VO2, improved oxygen utilization and enhanced performance.
The new OptygenHP now delivers 50% more beta-alanine. A 2012 study evaluated the effects of beta-alanine supplementation on VO2max, time to exhaustion and lactate concentrations. Subjects supplemented with beta-alanine for six weeks. The group experienced a significant increase in VO2max, an improvement in time to exhaustion and lactate utilization. The study concluded that beta-alanine supplementation can reduce lactate concentrations during exercise and thus can improve exercise performance in endurance athletes.
- Cortisol: Optygen/Rhodiola reduces the primary stress hormone cortisol. This also relates to improvements in the cortisol/testosterone ratio. With hard training, stress is increased and hence cortisol is increased. Chronically elevated levels of cortisol lead to overtraining syndrome, suppressed testosterone, poor recovery, poor sleep, catabolism of muscle and poor performance. Optygen and Rhodiola have clearly proven significant modulation of cortisol and improvement in cortisol/testosterone ratio in hard training athletes.
- Glucose Tolerance Factor: Chromium has been shown in various studies to modulate Glucose Tolerance Factor leading to a modulation in blood glucose. Athletes can experience a more steady supply of energy with no wild sugar swings.
- Adenosine Tri Phosphate (ATP) production: Studies on OptyMax (ES, PN, RR) and Rhodiola extract have all shown an improvement in Adenosine TriPhosphate production. ATP is the primary energy source of the human body. Reduction in ATP leads to fatigue. This ATP production is further supported 13 through the Optygen proprietary ATPro base consisting of the precursors of ATP production, calcium pyruvate, sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate and ribose.
- Recovery/Inflammation: Studies on OptyMax (PN, RR) fruit extract have clearly shown reduction in the key recovery markers measured by MDA analysis, IL-6 and CK. These improved markers mean less soreness, less muscle catabolism and improved recovery from hard training.
- Glycogen Sparing: Studies on Eleutherococcus senticosus extract and Rhodiola Rosea extract have shown a significant reduction in glycogen use during exercise. Athletes can spare glycogen leading to improved endurance and improved substrate utilization.
- Glycogen Re-synthesis: Studies on OptyMax (PN, RR) fruit extract have shown a significant improvement in the replenishing of glycogen following exhaustive exercise. Improved glycogen re-synthesis means faster recovery and improved performance on back-to-back-to-back hard training days. It’s also important to note that these benefits are experienced with lower insulin levels.
- Lactate curve: Studies on Optygen, Rhodiola and Beta-Alanine have shown significant improvements in lactate threshold. Beta-Alanine’s primary mechanism of action is to increase the limiting rate of lactate synthesis so lactic acid build up does not slow performance. An improved lactate curve means athletes can hold a faster pace before reaching anaerobic threshold.
1. How is this formula different than OptygenHP? This prototype formula has two key changes:
a) The amount of Beta-Alanine has been increased by 50% so there’s now 1.5 grams/serving.
b) Cordyceps has been replaced with a special proprietary matrix of Eleutherococcus senticosus extract, Panax notoginseng and Rosa Roxburghii fruit extract. There are a number of new studies that have been done on endurance athletes that show significant endurance benefits.
2. What should an athlete notice? The new studies show significant improvement in various physiological and performance areas of endurance. Athletes should notice an increased ability to handle high volume and high intensity training. Athletes should be able to replenish glycogen faster leading to improved recovery and improved performance on back-to-back workouts and during months of heavy training. Athletes should expect inflammatory response to high intensity exercise to improve leading to faster recovery. The studies have proven:
-Improved glycogen re-synthesis
-Improved inflammatory response and recovery markers (less sore)
-Increase in ATP production
-Sparing of glycogen during exercise
-Improved exercise capacity
-Improved lactate curve
-Improved insulin sensitivity
3. What is the special OptyMax proprietary matrix? The proprietary matrix consists of three key nutrients. This nutrient blend is only available in the new OptygenHP product. The blend consistes of Eleutherococcus senticosus (ES) extract, highly fractionated Panax notoginseng (PN) extract and Rosa Roxburghii (RR) fruit extract.
Serving Size: 4 Capsules
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Chromium (as Chelavite® amino acid Chelate)||200 mcg||167%|
|Rhodiola Extract (Rhodiola Rosea)(root) minimum 10% rosavins||300 mg||*|
OptiMax Proprietary Matrix (Eleutherococcus senticosus extract (root) minimum 0.8% eleuthrosides; Panax notoginseng extract, Rosa Roxburghii fruit extract)
|ATProTM Matrix (Calcium Pyruvate, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Ribose)||500mg||*|
*Daily Value Not Established
Other Ingredients: gelatin red capsules
Chelavite is a registered trademark of Albion laboratories, Inc.
Covered by Albion international, Inc., U.S. Patent 5,614,553.
Amazing Product! Review by S Bay
In February 2013 shortly after having my first child I had my LT tested (treadmill). I started taking OptygenHp in May after I finished nursing. With training and the use of OptygenHp my LT went from 8.5 mph (4.1 mM lactate) to 9.5 mph (4.8 mM lactate) in June of 2013. As for actual race results in my first Olympic distance triathlon of the season (June 2013) I ran a 39:14. (Posted on 3/22/2014)
Not Snake Oil Review by Peyton H
Many such products can be deemed little more than "snake oil", but Optygen HP really works. Since first implementing Optygen HP into my daily nutrition plan last winter, I have set PRs across the board, and only missed one (unscheduled) day to illness the entire year. Great product! (Posted on 1/8/2014)
Amazing product Review by AAZ
I´m a 42 y/o triathlete. Train twice daily 7 days/w . After aprox 2 weeks of use, I´ve noticed significant improvements in VO2; on muscle power and endurance; less fatigue signs during sessions; and amazing reduction in muscle soreness and recovery time. A+ product!! (Posted on 9/17/2013)
Extremely Impressed!!!! Review by RMM
Been using Optygen HP for about 3 months now, with initial expectation being very low. All I can say is this product is true to its word. Everything it claims, it delivers: recovery, energy, power, improved times with less effort, etc!!! I'm extremely impressed and I definitely would recommend!!!! Get a couple bottles and give yourself a gift!! (Posted on 9/5/2013)
Good but costly Review by James
I like the supplement and believe it has helped me recover. The "new and improved" formula may have priced me out though (20% increase). Ouch. (Posted on 7/22/2013)
HP working great Review by hideano
not ready to give it 5 stars, but so far I have noticed more energy. I want to go out and train more... recovery is definitely quicker. Remember to do the load up phase then use normally. Best to start 5-6 weeks before you big event unless you get yourself 2 bottles. (Posted on 7/21/2013)
Great Product Review by TGriz
I'm on my second bottle of the new HP. The main improvements have been in recovery times. While on the bike after hard climbs the recovery time is a lot quicker so I ride faster over all. On the flats I can push harder longer again improving my overall ride times. Also, the over night recovery is better, I don't have that "dead legs" feeling after back to back hard training days.
One side effect that I noticed is that about 45 minutes to an hour after taking the 4 pills I get a prickly heat itch on my entire body, it lasts about 15-20 minutes before going away. It feels like my skin is itching everywhere from the inside out.
Overall I'm very happy with the product and feel it definitely works as advertised. (Posted on 7/10/2013)
BELIEVE in this product Review by Scott
I was never really interested in all these different training aids, but after a recommendation from a friend, I tried Prototype. I have gone on to train almost daily with personal record setting results. (Posted on 5/3/2013)
Definite Improvement Review by David
Optygen HP already gave me an incredible boost in performance on the bike and I've noticed an increase in improvement after about two weeks of taking the Optygen HP prototype. I slid it right into the place of my regular Optygen HP and I've been tackling hills on my normal routes with greater ease. I'd say First Endurance has a winner here. Rip off the "Prototype" label and get this baby on the market! (Posted on 4/4/2013)
Definite performance gains Review by Tommy N
Last year I moved to altitude for the first time. I think I enjoyed some gains from my increase in efficiency, but not like this year. This year I have moved 700 metres higher, and I feel stronger and better than last year (living at 1300 metres).
I began taking the OptygenHP Prototype in February, and after a few weeks I noticed definite performance gains. I am able to recover from hard efforts faster, and feel like I still have some more to give, even when I feel completely gassed. This is my favourite First Endurance product. (Posted on 3/26/2013)
definite response Review by Phil Gaimon
I've been training a ton, and living at altitude for the first time. I've noticed a much easier transition to the higher load on the bike than my previous experience with altitude. (Posted on 3/20/2013)
Great stuff! Review by Pat Mc
OptygenHP Prototype is the first, First Endurance product I've used and the first of any Optygen formula I've tried in training. Overall, I feel healthier and better prepared for each day's workout. I've been able to train hard and feel, overall, much less fatigued than normal. Every ride starts off great so the workout comes easier. Great stuff! (Posted on 3/20/2013)
Next level Review by The Red pill
Taking these little red pills effect isn't noticed until you start to realise that you are pushing it for longer and harder than you used to. The added of not getting sick as much and/or as for long. Fatigue from training seems less. Why would you ever stop taking them even if you are not an athlete? (Posted on 3/20/2013)
They've done it again Review by Gary
Snagged one of these bottles from a friend of mine that's sponsored. Leave it to the guys to at First Endurance to take the Optygen formula to the next level. I've been using it for 3 weeks now and bought 2 more bottles yesterday- stuff is awesome! (Posted on 3/12/2013)
Great stuff Review by Gurshwin
A Plus **** (Posted on 3/11/2013)
Improvements noticed Review by PK
After 2 weeks of using this product I noticed about 5% increase in my watts at the same heart rate effort. Testing this on 2.5mi hill repeats, and while everything else remained the same - recovery time, cadence, HR - the power was higher. (Posted on 3/11/2013)