OptygenHP is designed to be a multifaceted formula with a mechanism
of action that is directly related to an improvement in key physiological facets of
hard training. Each key mechanism of action has been tested on endurance trained
human subjects and further supported by studies done on the complete formula.
These mechanisms are:
- Cortisol: Optygen/Rhodiola reduces the primary stress hormone cortisol.
This also relates to improvements in the cortisol/testosterone ratio. With
hard training, stress is increased and hence cortisol is increased. Chronically
elevated levels of cortisol lead to overtraining syndrome, suppressed
testosterone, poor recovery, poor sleep, catabolism of muscle and poor
performance. Optygen and Rhodiola have clearly proven significant
modulation of cortisol and improvement in cortisol/testosterone ratio in
hard training athletes.
- Glucose Tolerance Factor: Chromium has been shown in various studies to
modulate Glucose Tolerance Factor leading to a modulation in blood glucose.
Athletes can experience a more steady supply of energy with no wild sugar
- Adenosine Tri Phosphate (ATP) production: Studies on OptyMax (ES, PN,
RR) and Rhodiola extract have all shown an improvement in Adenosine TriPhosphate production. ATP is the primary energy source of the human body.
Reduction in ATP leads to fatigue. This ATP production is further supported 13
through the Optygen proprietary ATPro base consisting of the precursors of
ATP production, calcium pyruvate, sodium phosphate, potassium phosphate
- Recovery/Inflammation: Studies on OptyMax (PN, RR) fruit extract have
clearly shown reduction in the key recovery markers measured by MDA
analysis, IL-6 and CK. These improved markers mean less soreness, less
muscle catabolism and improved recovery from hard training.
- Glycogen Sparing: Studies on Eleutherococcus senticosus extract and
Rhodiola Rosea extract have shown a significant reduction in glycogen use
during exercise. Athletes can spare glycogen leading to improved endurance
and improved substrate utilization.
- Glycogen Re-synthesis: Studies on OptyMax (PN, RR) fruit extract have
shown a significant improvement in the replenishing of glycogen following
exhaustive exercise. Improved glycogen re-synthesis means faster recovery
and improved performance on back-to-back-to-back hard training days. It’s
also important to note that these benefits are experienced with lower insulin
- Lactate curve: Studies on Optygen, Rhodiola and Beta-Alanine have shown
significant improvements in lactate threshold. Beta-Alanine’s primary
mechanism of action is to increase the limiting rate of lactate synthesis so
lactic acid build up does not slow performance. An improved lactate curve
means athletes can hold a faster pace before reaching anaerobic threshold.
Dosage recommendations: Take 4 capsules daily with a meal.
Serving Size: 4 Capsules
| || Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Chromium (as Chelavite® amino acid Chelate)
Rhodiola Extract (Rhodiola Rosea)(root) minimum 10% rosavins
OptiMax Proprietary Matrix (Eleutherococcus senticosus extract (root) minimum 0.8% eleuthrosides; Panax notoginseng extract, Rosa Roxburghii fruit extract)
|ATProTM Matrix (Calcium Pyruvate, Sodium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Ribose)
*Daily Value Not Established
gelatin red capsules
Chelavite is a registered trademark of Albion laboratories, Inc.
Covered by Albion international, Inc., U.S. Patent 5,614,553.
1. How is this formula different than OptygenHP? This prototype formula has two key changes:
a) The amount of Beta-Alanine has been increased by 50% so there’s now 1.5 grams/serving.
b) Cordyceps has been replaced with a special proprietary matrix of Eleutherococcus senticosus extract, Panax notoginseng and Rosa Roxburghii fruit extract. There are a number of new studies that have been done on endurance athletes that show significant endurance benefits.
2. What should an athlete notice? The new studies show significant improvement in various physiological and performance areas of endurance. Athletes should notice an increased ability to handle high volume and high intensity training. Athletes should be able to replenish glycogen faster leading to improved recovery and improved performance on back-to-back workouts and during months of heavy training. Athletes should expect inflammatory response to high intensity exercise to improve leading to faster recovery. The studies have proven:
-Improved glycogen re-synthesis
-Improved inflammatory response and recovery markers (less sore)
-Increase in ATP production
-Sparing of glycogen during exercise
-Improved exercise capacity
-Improved lactate curve
-Improved insulin sensitivity
3. What is the special OptyMax proprietary matrix? The proprietary matrix consists of three key nutrients. This nutrient blend is only available in the new OptygenHP product. The blend consistes of Eleutherococcus senticosus (ES) extract, highly fractionated Panax notoginseng (PN) extract and Rosa Roxburghii (RR) fruit extract.
Following exhaustive exercise, athletes fight inflammation, battle oxidative stress, need to repair torn muscle tissue, and have depleted essential glycogen stores. Glycogen is the primary storage carbohydrate in muscles and liver totaling approximately 2,000Kcal in a trained athlete. Muscle glycogen is generally known as the main fuel for strenuous sports activity. Unlike fat, this fuel can be mobilized rapidly under anaerobic condition, which typically occurs under various acute/exhaustive physical exercises.
Glycogen re-synthesis is the process of converting consumed food into stored glycogen. Even with optimal recovery after a hard workout, full glycogen re-synthesis is difficult to attain within 24 hours and subsequent workouts can begin to suffer. This is especially true when working out or racing for multiple days back to back. Having the ability to replenish glycogen to a greater degree allows athletes to bounce back from exhaustive exercise faster and be better prepared for the next day of training or racing.
Download Full Research